Discussion Topics and Questions for Discussion
- The King’s Daughters
- The temperance movement (one of the first movements in which women could play a political role)
- The suffragist movement
- Women in nursing and medicine
- Women in education
- The Famous Five and the Persons Case
- Women in the Labour Movement
- Women in Canadian politics
- The role of women in war time
- The war brides of the Second World War
- The evolving role of women in the workplace
- Women in First Nations communities
- Women in business
- Women in rural and remote communities
- Women in the military
- Women in sport
Questions for Discussion
- Why is it important to recognize and explore women’s history?
- Is women’s history separate from Canadian history?
- Why is women’s history sometimes overlooked?
- How have women influenced Canada’s political, social and economic life?
- How would Canada be different if women never gained the right to vote? To sit in the Senate? What about the right to work or own property?
- Who are some women that you admire?
- What can we do today to honour the legacy of the Canadian women who have gone before?
- What challenges remain for women today? How can understanding history help us to overcome them?
- Date modified: